Wednesday, November 7, 2018

K Movie List

Before I get busier, and don't have time to do anything else, except breathing and working, I'm better starting to write this. The end of 2018 is approaching us soon, I insist to leave a mark/footprint in this big world web wide. Ha, ha, ha. I wonder what I'm going to write in this blog in 2019. Am I still here, able to do this? Memento Mori 😃 I talk much about how adore Korean movie in my Goodread. How different it is from the conventional K drama (not to say that I don't love it is the same). How it is daring to go against the norm. It is different species in itself, though born from the same parent. If that is possible.

Like I said before, what I like about K movie is the bravery to go against the norm. Its border is limitless. I can't just figure the outcome just from the basic premise. It is dark and gritty. It is dramatic and even disturbing, sometimes. It can produce this sensually artistic thing (yeah you should check it yourself to see what I'm talking about). If it wants to be funny, it is not afraid to poke fun with itself, with the dark, satirical humor, just right up in my alley. I don't want to make generalisation, that every K movie is like what I'm saying above. There're plenty just so, so, K movies out there, but when it is good, it is good, that good. It leaves distinct flavour.

I grow up watching Hollywood/American movies. I can't say I watch that many Hollywood movies. I'm K drama addict after all, I'm wasting away my times watching that. Ha, ha, ha. But what I often feel about Hollywood movie is that it is so emotionless and generic. If I want to compare with other Asian movie it is like this: (I say again I don't want to make generalisation, it may differ for you) C movie is so adamant to fit to the norm, J movie is working at sublime level that sometimes it is too quiet, lack of inertia, Indonesia movie is emmmmmm (must I go there? 😬 ) I don't too concern about production quality, as long as the writing is good, it is fine with me. See Hollywood movie, the production quality is top notch, but still it is not my cup of coffee. But Indonesian movie, even the writing feels so pretentious and self-righteous. I can't even..... Or European/French movie is too languid, although I love its simplistic nature.

I don't follow any K movie website or blog. I have yet to find website that representative and interesting when giving away K movie recommendation. The ones that I found likely writing their recommendation like writing some serious editorial column. Boring, not following those. So mostly I get my K movie recommendation from words of the mouth. Lol. Someone left some intriguing comment at some Disqus comment section at some watching on line website or K drama blog, that suddenly pick my interest. Some K movies are destined to be watched by me.


Beasts Clawing at Straws
Released year: 2020
Genre: Thriller
Director: Kim Young-Hoon
Actors: Jeon Do-yeon, Jung Woo-sung, Bae Sung-woo, Yoon Yeojeong
Source: Wara nimo Sugaru Kemonotachi by Keisuke Sone
Grade: 3/5
sPlotlight: 
Just typical “whodunnit” thriller movie. It is one that probably better in written novel, than in live action movie. It will not stand a chance if not for its good novel source.


Coin Locker Girl
Released year: 2015
Genre: Thriller
Director: Han Jun-hee
Actors: Kim Go-eun. Kim Hye-soo, Park Bo-geum
Source: Coin Locker Babies by Ryū Murakami
Grade: 4/5
sPlotlight:
Chop! Chop! Chop! Blood everywhere……


Eungyo 
Other title: A Muse
Released year: 2012
Genre: Drama
Source: Eun-gyo by Park Bum-shin
Director: Jung Ji-woo
Actors: Park Hae-il, Kim Go-eun, 
Grade: 3.5/5
sPlotlight:
Although Kim Go-eun failed to impress me in Goblin and The King: Eternal Monarch, if people say she is good actress, I believe them. She is looked young, pretty, and innocent while at the same time so wild and curious as a muse for elderly poet. Wk, wk, wk.  


Il mare
Released year: 2000
Genre: Romance
Director: Lee Hyun-seung
Actors: Jun Ji-hyun, Lee Jung-jae
Grade: 5/5
sPlotlight:
My ultimate favorite K movie. *respectbowing* Love the cinematography, love the writing, love the osts, love everything. 


Joint Security Area
Released year: 2000
Genre: Drama
Director: Park Chan-wook
Actors: Lee Byung-hun, Lee Young-ae
Grade: 3/5
sPlotlight:
I don’t know why this is so popular. This comes up as one of movie reference for K movie history lesson. LOL. Maybe you will end up watching this because it has names like Park Chan-wook and Lee Byung-hun on it. LOL So yeah…. 


Kim Ji-young, Born 1982
Released year: 2019
Genre: Drama
Source: Kim Ji-young, Born 1982 by Jo Nam-ju
Director: Kim Do-young
Actors: Gongyoo, Jung Yumi
Grade: 3/5
sPlotlight:
I had high expectation for this movie. I consider my self genderless, but I still have my feminist spirit in flame so yeah a must watch for me. I love Gongyoo and Jung Yumi, I've watched The Crucible, I know they can do it, kick you right in the heart. This movie has failed in that. I knew she was struggling, but I didn't feel it. And the rumor that the novel has tickled some Korean men's fragile ego, I could't just wrap my head around it. It is not the acting, I think it is in directing part or the writing? Or because she still has Gongyoo as her handsome, lovable, and understanding husband? Or such an awesome and supportive mother? Ha, ha, ha. Some women don't have such advantages on their side. Trapped in their marriage life, and be treated as secondary citizen from the day they are born. Yet, the world still has an objection to call them feminist. Because.... how they choose to dress?? Ok I stop here.


Little Forest 
Released year: 2018
Genre: Drama
Source: Little Forest by Daisuke Igarashi
Director: Yim Soon-rye
Actors: Kim Tae-ri, Ryu Jun-yeol, Jin Ki-joo
Grade: 4/5
sPlotlight:
Watching this move it is like watching those minimalist life style vlogs that have been popular these days, but better camera work, story line, and prettier character (It has Kim Tae-ri in it! She is so prettyyy! You know those of naturally pretty. LOL). I also watched the Japanese version of this movie, I love both the same. It suits with the languid style of Japanese movie. Should check that ones too! 


Midnight Runners
Released year: 2017
Genre: Action, Comedy, Coming of age
Director: Kim Ju-hwan
Actors: Kang Haneul, Park Seo-joon
Grade: 3/5
sPlotlight:
The story about two young men learning to be an adult and they try all the stupid things they can think of, while they are studying in police academy. It is the same genre with Twenty but with different setting. But I laugh a lot of more watching Twenty. I love this genre if it is done right. Oh the reminiscence.


Old Boy
Released year: 2003
Genre: Thriller
Director: Park Chan-wook
Actors:  Choi Min-sik, Yoo Ji-tae, Kang Hye-jung
Grade: 3.5/5
sPlotlight:
The staple of K movie. When people want to know about the distinct K movie flavor/style/whatever should be like, this movie is one of the best examples. This is the reference. You'll never get the movie is all about by reading the synopsis or review. You think you have been spoiled, no you have not. It is always the surprise effect that coming After watching the movie. Make you go: Duh?? Ha, ha, ha. 


On Your Wedding day
Released year: 2018
Genre: Romance
Director: Lee Seok-geun
Actors: Park Bo-young, Kim Young-kwang
Grade: 3/5
sPlotlight:
I GET it, why first love is called 'first' love, because it ends to make place for second, third, fourth, and so on love. *snickers* You get 3 for that, yeah I'm nasty like that. Love means Forever. :P


Parasite
Released year: 2019
Genre: Human, comedy drama
Director: Bong Joon-ho
Actors:  Song Kang-ho, Lee Sun-kyun, Jo Yeo-jeong, Choi Woo-shik, Park So-dam
Grade: 4/5
sPlotlight:
Hah! The world just got the taste how awesome Korean movie can get. They give it Cannes and Academy Award. This is an example of what good K movie is like. It got the satire, dark humor right down pat. I LOVE it. I thought it was about monster or zombie. Ha ha, ha. It turned out the new kind of parasite they introduced me about. 😁


Rampant
Released year: 2018
Genre: Period, Monster
Director: Kim Sung-hoon
Actors: Hyun Bin, Jang Dong-gun
Grade: 3/5
sPlotlight:
Yeah it is not as good as Train to Busan, but I have a Hyunbin fever right now and I need a cure. :P He, being cheeky, and swords are the hottest combination. I can't .....just can't  *highfeverseizure*


Sea Fog
Released year: 2014
Genre: Mystery
Director: Shim Sung-bo
Actors: Kim Yoon-seok, Park Yoo-chun
Grade: 4/5
sPlotlight:
The story reminded me like the Hollywood movie, Ghost Ship, but with more blood and dead bodies. I beg you pardon, they are so different. Sea Fog is grittier and way better. Lol. Please don't remind me that Yoochun is in this. Hah


Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
Released year: 2003
Genre: Drama
Director: Kim Ki-duk
Actors: Oh Yeong-su, Kim Young-min, Kim Ki-duk
Grade: 3/5
sPlotlight:
You can’t talk about K movie without mentioning Kim Ki-duk. I’ve watched many of his productions, but probably just write about this one, for no apparent reason beside trying to figure out the philosophy behind the life of a turtle. LOL. His movies are so weird, full of symbols that I just don’t get it. So I can’t write much about them. I just watched them to taste of the strangeness of a movie can get. Ha, ha, ha. And I will not recommend his movie for the weaks and who are not comfortable with obscene sex scenes 😅 Well, he's not everyone favorite, but for the sake of the liberty of art.......


The Crucible
Released year: 2011
Genre: Mystery, Crime
Source: The Crucible by Gong Ji-young
Director: Hwang Dong-hyuk
Actors: Gongyoo, Jung Yumi
Grade: 4/5
sPlotlight:
It is a story about sex abused toward disable children. It is so disheartening to watch which mean it is good.


The Handmaiden
Released year: 2016
Genre: Mystery
Source: Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
Director: Park Chan-wook
Actors: Kim Min-hee, Kim Tae-ri, Ha Jung-woo, Cho Jin-woong
Grade: 5/5
sPlotlight:
You think it is based on that famous The Handmaid's Tale novel by Margaret Atwood, it is not. I just figure out it is based from a novel titled Fingersmith as I'm writing this. The title is so misleading. The movie is great, another example for a good K movie. Ahh why so good, so brave, so strange? I can't wrap it around my head. Ha, ha, ha.


The Negotiator
Released year: 2018
Genre: Action, Police
Director: Lee Jong-seok
Actors: Hyun-bin, Son Ye-jin
Grade: 3/5
sPlotlight:
If not for Hyun-bin, it is rather a bore. He is just talking and we have to see him through two layered screen, our screen and her (Son Ye-jin) screen or everybody's else screen. The case is not interesting, the mystery is predictable. He's still a protagonist at the end of the day. You know, I want our oppa to be a full-fledged, hot blooded, and merciless antagonist.


The Table
Released year: 2017
Genre: Omnibus drama
Director: Kim Jong-kwan
Actors: Jung Yumi, Han Yeri, Jung Eun-chae, Yeon Woo-jin
Grade: 2/5
sPlotlight:
It gives away indie french movie vibe, but it is boring, so??


The Taxi Driver
Released year: 2017
Genre: Drama, History
Director: Jang Hoon
Actors: Song Kang-ho, Yoo Hae-jin, Ryu Jun-yeol
Grade: 4/5
sPlotlight:
As someone who has the experience living in the era of dictatorship in her own country, I know how fight for democratic society takes blood and tears. Tears were brimming my eyes at the end of the movie.


The Treacherous
Released year: 2015
Genre: Period
Director: Min Kyu-dong
Actors: Joo Ji-hoon, Kim Kang-woo, Lim Ji-yeon
Grade: 4/5
sPlotlight:
Recommended. Bloody and dark. Disturbing, yet somehow there're some parts feel funny, in mocking way.


The Vanishing Boy Who Return
Released year: 2016
Genre: Mystery drama
Director: Uhm Tae-hwa
Actors: Kang Dong-won, Shin Eun-soo
Grade: 3/5
sPlotlight:
A for the originality of the writing. Too long though, it should be more efficient in editing so it can be shorter movie.


The Wailing
Released year: 2016
Genre: Mystery drama
Director: Na Hong-jin
Actors: Hwang Jung-min, Kim Hwan-hee, Kwak Do-won
Grade: 5/5
sPlotlight:
It is the parent of Hands: The Guest. Lol. So chilling, shamanic theme and a little bit police-crime theme are blend together, blood everywhere.


Train to Busan
Released year: 2014
Genre: Action, Monster, Disaster
Director: Yeon Sang-ho
Actors: Gongyoo, Jung Yumi, Ma Dong-seok,
Grade: 4/5
sPlotlight:
It is great zombie movie, I admit it. But my problem is that it is too Hollywood for my taste. Why it got 4 not 5. Mian.


Tunnel 
Released year: 2016
Genre: Catastrophe, Drama
Director: Kim Seong-hun
Actors: Ha Jung-woo, Bae Doona
Grade: 4.5/5
sPlotlight:
This is so great that every time I go through a tunnel, I always remember this movie. Like the lead character’s trauma infects me too. 😂


Twenty
Released year: 2015
Genre: Comedy, Coming-of-age
Director: Lee Byeong-heon
Actors: Kang Haneul, Kim Woo-bin, Lee Junho
Grade: 4/5
sPlotlight:
You know, I'm hardly a comedy type of person, but I laughed all the way through the movie. Miss you Kang Haneul and Kim Woo-bin!

Continue to 23

No comments: